Ash & Lew Plus 2 Rotating Images

Water vs. Juice

I have a really hard time with Juice. In my opinion it is (for the most part) empty calories. When you take the juice from the fruit you still get the vitamins but the fiber from the actual fruit is gone and you are left with mostly sugar. We have never been a juice buying family. In our house there is either water, milk and sometimes unsweet tea.

Lew and I had discussed that we were not going to give our babies juice. We were going to offer water as a supplement to formula. (When they were old enough of course.) Then after one year of age we would offer milk or water.

According to research I have done you shouldn’t give your baby any other liquids (or solids) before 6 months. Also there is no benefit of giving juice instead of actual fruit. This is where my “no juice” philosophy comes from. I would rather my children get the benefits from fruit itself instead of consuming the extra calories from the juice.

All of that being said, I have had to give my son a little juice around five months for “poopy” reasons. Now that he is eating veggies and fruit we are trying to do without the apple prune juice he was getting. (He had less than 2 ounces a day and it was always mixed with water.) Anyway, I know a lot of people choose to feed their children differently than I do but here is just a little glimpse of what has been going on in my head lately regarding the subject.

So, last night was the first time we offered water to the babies and they weren’t quite sure what to think of it. :)

I am going to invest in some sippy cups soon so they can start learning to drink from them.

LB even tried to drink from daddy’s straw

2010-09-09_19-43-36_710

(Please excuse my child’s unmatching outfit. They both had food all over there original pants this morning so we had to change)

Daisy and Mimi

2010-09-09_19-43-11_607

I plan to keep trying the water and I hope they enjoy trying the sippy cup!

I brought some food along to my parents house for the weekend. This morning I went for simple. Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. I topped my cereal with a spoon of Almond Butter to get some protein.

2010-09-10_08-01-59_445

Ingles had this Blue Diamond Almond Butter on sale so I thought I would give it a try. I really liked it but don’t think I would buy it at regular price.

2010-09-10_08-04-13_421

I hope everyone has a happy Friday!

Article Global Facebook Twitter Myspace Friendfeed Technorati del.icio.us Digg Google Yahoo Buzz StumbleUpon Eli Pets

10 Comments

1. Jane Kizer says:

Water is great!

2. Kari says:

Cute children. My son is the same age, he was born Feb 16th, 2010.

I am a new follower from the blog hop! I hope you can stop by and visit my blog.

Have a great day!

Kari

3. manda63 says:

My pediatrician recommends no juice. I did give juice to my two older kids when they were babies but it was only cranberry juice diluted with 50% water. My daughter had kidney reflux as a baby so the doctor recommended it. With my 3rd baby, the only juice he’s gotten it YoBaby Yogurt drink because yogurt is so good for you. He’s only gotten it 2-3 times. Most of the time it’s water or formula at our house.

4. Anna says:

OMG! How adorable they are. The cutest little thingy. Have a great weekend.

5. Water is essentially nature’s sugar. Of course, kids love it because it’s sweet but it leaves a sugary coating on their teeth (which causes cavities). Water is best and they might as well develop a taste for it when they’re young. You’re doing the right thing. Way to go!
    I’m here from Bloggy Moms.

6. Amy says:

Hi Ashley,
    I found your blog through Lew’s facebook (he and I went to Lakeshore together and a year at Lambuth). I have enjoyed all your writings! Our son will be three in December and he didn’t get juice until he was two years old. Even now, he gets maybe one or two juice boxes a week (Earth’s Best…organic/low sugar and they are itty bitty) and other than that it is only water or milk. One bit of advice that we learned the hard way is that when kiddos get sick (stomach bugs mainly), it can be very hard to get them to stay hydrated. A lot of doctors/nurses will recommend juices or pedialyte to keep them hydrated. Our son would NOT take them because he had never had anything but water or milk. I discovered that feeding him melon (especially watermelon) helped keep him hydrated enough. I know your babies are a ways from eating table foods, but just a tip to remember for the future!

7. Hope O'Briant says:

Ashlee,
    Almost all of my friend gave juice but I’m like you all my kids got for FOREVER is water. Colin is 6 & prefers water to almost anything. The girls are a little different but know that our go to beverage is water. I think that giving them water from the start sets good beverage patterns for down the road. You are doing a great job & I love the blog!

1. Hope,
      I am so glad you came by my blog! I hope you enjoy reading!

8. Hi Ashlee,
    Thanks for visiting my site! Glad I am getting the chance to see yours! I’ve been giving my son water, as well. Initially, I tried giving him some apple juice in a sippy cup, very highly diluted with water, but after thinking about it I didn’t see the point. Totally think it’s best to just give water for now. Not sure he even tasted the apple juice because he was only about 6 months old and couldn’t figure out the whole sippy cup thing. Now, at 9 months, he knows how to suck out of it, but it’s only been water. :)

As far as your question on meat, I introduced meat for protein to Judah at 7 months as advised by my pediatrician. He has had chicken, turkey and beef. He didn’t like the texture at first, but is fine with it now. I’ll post this answer for you on my comment section, as well. Thanks!!

1. Thanks for the info! And thank you for stopping by!