I hope you have had a Merry Christmas Eve Eve. Ours has been hectic to say the least. I almost have all the clutter cleaned up. I made it to the grocery store and I have all of the gifts wrapped. We are finally getting somewhere.
Since Lew and I are not going to be going home until after Christmas I wanted to try to bring as many things from our families traditions into our home this year. After asking Lew at least a million times for something he would like me to bake or cook for Christmas he finally decided he wanted chex mix. His Nanny made chex mix as he was growing up and now his mom makes it every year. That’s some really big shoes to fill! I have read the recipe to make chex mix the last few years and decided it looked too hard that I would just leave it to his mom. But when the boy doesn’t get to go home on Christmas I make him what he wants! This is how our Super Spicy Chex Mix came about. You see, a lot of people make chex mix but Lew likes things a little spicier than the norm. So, when he asked for chex mix he was very specific and said he wanted it “very spicy” and believe me, that is just what we made.
Lew and Ashlee’s Super Spicy Chex Mix
- 6 cups corn chex
- 6 cups wheat chex
- 4 cups cheerios
- 4 cups mixed nuts
- 4 tbs. of worcestshire sauce
- 2 tbs. Tony Cacheras seasoning
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 12 tbs. butter
- couple dashes of chili powder (probably about 1 tsp.) (optional…this is where the spice comes in)
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional… this is where the spice comes in)
- In microwaveable bowl melt the butter.
- While butter melts, combine worcestshire sauce and spices in a large plastic bowl with lid.
- When butter is completely melted pour into plastic bowl with spices.
- Combine all cereals and nuts in the bowl, cover with lid and shake until everything is coated well.
- Place mix on a cookie sheet spread out evenly. I had to use one large cookie sheet and one large casserole dish.
- In a 250 degree oven bake mix for one hour stirring every 15 minutes.
- When done let cool on towels (or paper towels)
- When cool Enjoy! But be careful, Lew thinks it is perfect, I think it is super spicy!
P.S. I love this picture!