Well Lew has officially used a hammer in our kitchen twice today! How crazy is that! He used a hammer to help cut the brisket from our freezer and he used a hammer to help pound the chicken breasts for tonight’s dinner. Now on to our day…
This morning started at 7:30. LB has been sleeping until almost 8:00 but I think he is starting to figure out that the time has changed. Hopefully this means that the 7:30 bedtime is going to come back as well.
Today included a couple highlights. After our workout (where I ran 3 miles in about 32 minutes, which is great for me!) then did 15 minutes on the elliptical. We ate a quick lunch and then Lew and I were able to go see The Lincoln Lawyer. We read the book this past week and could not wait to go see the movie. We set up a babysitter and headed for an afternoon showing. The movie was great! It was different than the book of course, but it was still so good! You should definitely see it.
Tonight’s dinner was the second highlight of the day. After Lew’s 6:00 volleyball game the last thing I wanted to do was cook dinner but we drove straight home and got things going and enjoyed a great dinner.
Fiesta Chicken Roll Ups (Adapted from Taste of Home Magazine)
- 4 boneless chicken breasts pounded thin
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 4 (6 in) corn tortillas; chopped
- 1 1/4 cup salsa verde (divided)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbs. orange marmalade
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- sour cream and cilantro (for topping)
- In a small bowl combine cheese, tortillas, and 1/4 cup salsa verde. Divide the filling and fill the chicken breasts with 1/4 of the filling.
- Roll chicken breasts and use toothpicks to hold together.
- Combine cornmeal and garlic powder in a shallow dish.
- Cover chicken roll ups in cornmeal.
- Brown chicken breasts in skillet with a tbs. olive oil.
- Add water, salsa verde, orange marmalade and chili powder to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Cover skillet, reduce heat to medium and cook 15-20 minutes. (Until chicken reaches 180 degrees)
- Serve with cilantro and sour cream.
I served our chicken roll ups with simple salads. Spring mix topped with blue cheese, strawberries and homemade dressing.
I loved this chicken! We will definitely be making this again in our house!
What is the favorite dinner in your house?